What is cosmetic eyebrow tattooing? Everything you need to know
Ready to transform your brows and ditch the daily fill-in struggle? Here's everything you need to know about cosmetic eyebrow tattooing.
What is Cosmetic Eyebrow Tattooing?
Cosmetic eyebrow tattooing is a semi-permanent beauty treatment that enhances the fullness and definition of your brows.
A cosmetic tattoo artist uses a handheld tool - a pen with tiny needles on one end - to create the illusion of natural hair by implanting pigment into your skin.
This procedure can seriously streamline your morning routine (no need to fill in patchy areas with makeup) and give you the confidence to have perfect brows 24/7.
While cosmetic eyebrow tattooing has been around for decades, the art has definitely evolved from those 'blocky' old-school tattoos. Today's techniques are all about creating natural and subtle looks, not the permanent marker-like brows you might imagine.
Microblading is a form of cosmetic eyebrow tattooing that creates fine, hair-like strokes to mimic the appearance of natural eyebrow hairs. It's ideal if you have sparse or uneven brows and want a realistic result.
The Different Types of Cosmetic Eyebrow Tattoo
At Tanya Beauty Care, we know one size doesn't fit all. That's why we offer different types of cosmetic eyebrow tattoo techniques at our salon.
A subtle twist on microblading, the micro-feather technique uses similarly fine strokes for a lighter touch. Think of it as your brows, but softly enhanced.
Ombré Pixel Misting
Fancy the filled-in look? Our Powder Eyebrow Tattoo technique, also known as Ombre brows, mimics the effect of brow powder makeup and is an excellent match for those with oily or acne-prone skin.
TBC Signature Combination Brows
This is one of our most popular techniques, a unique blend of microblading and powder tattooing techniques. The result? Natural strokes meet defined tails, giving you the ultimate brow versatility. You get the best of both worlds.
Cosmetic Eyebrow Tattooing Timeline
Preparing for Your Treatment
The best results start with a great canvas - your skin! Here's a quick guide to prepping your skin for your eyebrow tattoo.
- Exfoliate the brow area the night before to help with pigment retention.
- Tweezing, tinting, or waxing should be completed at least 72 hours before the procedure.
- Wash your hair before or on the day of the treatment, as brows need to stay dry for seven days post-procedure.
- Skip the gym on the day of your treatment—body heat can expand pores.
- Avoid sun exposure and sunburn for three days prior.
- Ditch the coffee and caffeine on the day of your appointment.
- Skip Fish oil, Aspirin, Niacin, Vitamin E, and Ibuprofen 48 - 72 hours before, unless medically necessary. These can thin your blood.
- No alcohol 24 hours before or after the procedure.
- No facial treatments for two weeks leading up to your appointment.
- Hold off on Botox treatments 2 - 4 weeks before the procedure.
Before the Procedure
- Consultation: The first step is a sit-down with a qualified technician. This is your time to discuss your goals, ask questions, and clarify your preferred eyebrow shape.
- Patch Test: We perform a patch test to rule out any allergic reactions to the pigments we use.
During the Procedure
- Preparation: We'll begin by sanitising your skin and applying a topical anaesthetic.
- Outlining: Next, your technician will sketch the brow shape that you've discussed, acting as a roadmap for the tattooing process.
- Tattooing: Then comes the main act. Using specialised tools, pigment is meticulously implanted into your skin, depending on your chosen technique.
- In the first 30 minutes post-procedure, you'll need to gently blot the area with a clean tissue every 5 minutes to absorb any excess lymph fluid. This stops the fluid from hardening and aids the healing process.
Days 1 - 7 Post-Procedure
- Ointment Time: We provide you with a specific aftercare ointment. A little dab, about the size of a rice grain, is all you need for the entire brow area. Remember to keep your brows dry this week; water and sweat are not your friends right now.
Other Important Aftercare Tips
- Keep the area dry and cool. From avoiding direct sunlight to shortening your showers, your brows need a break for the initial days.
- Please don't touch the area: As tempting as it may be, leave those scabs alone and let nature do its thing. Picking at them might lead to scarring or colour loss.
To complete the cosmetic eyebrow tattooing timeline, full healing takes about 4 - 6 weeks, during which you may experience scabbing and fading. A follow-up appointment is usually scheduled to touch up any areas where the pigment didn't take as well.
Want your brows to last as long as possible? Keep them protected from the sun, and be cautious with skincare products containing high active ingredient concentrations.
Factors of Cosmetic Eyebrow Tattooing
Let's cover a few factors of cosmetic eyebrow tattooing you'll want to consider before taking the plunge.
Choosing the right technician
Here's our golden advice: don't leave your brows to chance. Choose a well-reviewed, highly recommended cosmetic studio with a proven track record.
At Tanya Beauty Care, we pride ourselves on over 16 years of experience and an arsenal of 300+ 5-star reviews on Google.
Trusting us with your brows means placing yourself in the hands of impeccably trained artists at the top of their game. Check out the stunning before and after transformations we've made possible for our clients.
Preparing for some discomfort
You might find getting a cosmetic eyebrow tattoo uncomfortable, depending on your pain level tolerance.
The skin around your brow is sensitive and will be pierced to deposit the pigment into the skin. So, pain is a factor to consider, although most of our clients find it tolerable (like a scratching or tweezing sensation) and applying numbing cream can help reduce the discomfort.
Commitment to eyebrow tattoo aftercare
Proper aftercare is crucial for the longevity and appearance of your eyebrow tattoo.
From the immediate blotting post-procedure, to the delicate art of ointment application, meticulous aftercare can make or break your final result.
We'll equip you with aftercare instructions to ensure the best result possible.
Here's a quick rundown of what to do and what to avoid:
- Use the ointment provided by Tanya Beauty Care for 7 days post-procedure.
- Stay out of direct sunlight for 4 weeks and wear a hat.
- Use a clean pillowcase daily for the first 10 days.
- Limit showers to 5 minutes and avoid getting the brow area wet.
- Pick scabs. Allow them to fall off naturally as picking can cause scarring or colour loss.
- Get a facial. No chemical peels, microdermabrasion, or Botox for 4 weeks post-procedure.
- Get sweaty with exercise or swim for a week post-procedure.
Sticking to these aftercare guidelines means you're on your way to long-lasting and beautiful brows.
Things to Know About Cosmetic Eyebrow Tattooing
Maintenance is required
One of the most important things to know about cosmetic eyebrow tattooing is it does require touch ups - we recommend every 6 to 12 months. This will help to maintain your eyebrow tattoo's optimal shape and saturation.
You'll experience a healing stage
After a permanent makeup procedure, you can typically expect tenderness, redness, and swelling in the treated area.
Within 3 - 4 days, you may experience moderate to thick scabbing, which will start to flake off between days 5 and 10.
Initially, the pigment may appear light, grey, and blurry, but it will regain its full colour once the area is fully healed, about four weeks post-procedure.
Removal is an option
If you've had a bad experience and are unhappy with your brows, laser removal treatment is an option. In many cases, clients have turned to us for laser removal after a disappointing result from a previous procedure.
We use a high-energy Q-switched laser to break down tattoo pigments into tiny pieces, allowing your body to naturally eliminate them. Over multiple treatments, the tattoo fades and eventually disappears.
However, as they say, prevention is better than cure, which is why choosing a highly talented and capable artist is essential. This way, you won't need to deal with the aftermath of disappointing brows and cosmetic removal.
There is some risk involved
Though rare, risks can include infection and allergic reactions.
This is especially true if the salon or tattoo artists don't follow proper hygiene protocols or post-care guidance isn't followed.
Once again, it highlights the importance of choosing a reputable artist to minimise risks. We also use hypoallergenic pigments to reduce the chance of an allergic reaction.
How Long Does Cosmetic Eyebrow Tattooing Last?
Cosmetic eyebrow tattoos can last anywhere from 1 to 3 years, depending on various factors such as skin type, sun exposure, and the skincare you use.
- Micro-feathering: Generally lasts from 6 to 18 months.
- Ombré Pixel Misting: Can last up to 5 years.
- TBC Combination Brow: Generally lasts up to 2 years.
In addition to aftercare, your skin type plays a role in the longevity of your cosmetic eyebrow tattoos. Pigment fades faster for oily-skinned types, so choosing a technique like Ombré Pixel Misting can deliver a longer-lasting result.
How Much is Cosmetic Eyebrow Tattooing?
How much is cosmetic eyebrow tattooing at Tanya Beauty Care? To find out the current cost check out our pricing page for the latest rates on different options. If you have any queries, don't hesitate to contact us. We're here to give you the brows you've always wanted!