Lip Tattoo Guide
Dreaming of the perfect pout? Whether you're looking to add more definition, to correct asymmetry, or achieve a bolder look, a lip tattoo can be a semi-permanent alternative to applying lip makeup everyday. Our lip tattoo guide covers everything you need to know!
How does lip tattooing work?
Lip tattooing is a cosmetic procedure using a tiny, mechanised needle to deposit coloured pigment into your lips, layer by layer, with tiny skin punctures. Lip tattooing enhances your natural lip colour and makes your lips appear fuller.
Benefits of a cosmetic lip tattoo
- Enhanced lip definition: A cosmetic lip tattoo can provide you with beautifully defined lips, adding shape, symmetry, and enhanced colour.
- Save time: With a lip tattoo, your lips will always look on point, saving you precious time in your daily beauty routine.
- Long-lasting results: Unlike traditional lipstick or lip liner, a cosmetic lip tattoo offers long-lasting results. Be confident with perfectly tinted and defined lips that stay vibrant and fresh throughout the day, even after eating or drinking.
At Tanya Beauty Care, we specialise in Full Lip Blush; a semi permanent treatment that involves soft shading over the lips for a tinted look. It is great for pale lips, asymmetry and correcting dark/purple toned lips. It can enhance your lips without the need for fillers. However, if you already use fillers, our lip blush treatment is ideal for defining your lip borders and amplifying your overall lip colour.
The pigment deposition process is done gradually, building layers of colour to achieve the desired effect. A glance through our lip tattoo before and after photos show the beautiful,
long-lasting results that our clients enjoy.
How long do lip tattoos last?
The results can last from 2 to 5 years, depending on your skin type, health condition, and daily activities.
The longevity of lip tattoos depends heavily on the rate at which your body breaks down the pigments and how rapidly your skin rejuvenates, shedding some of the pigmented cells.
Lip blushing treatments tend to fade faster if you have oily skin, as excess sebum pushes the pigment out. Dry to normal skin types retain the colour longer than oily skin.
What happens during a lip tattoo treatment?
The first step is a thorough consultation with one of our skilled cosmetic technicians.
They will discuss what you want, step you through pigment options and then trace the outline onto your lips.
The tattoo phase begins once you're happy with the outline and colour selection. A topical numbing cream is applied to the lips to reduce pain and discomfort.
During the session, which lasts for 1 hour, you'll feel the machine vibration and tolerable pressure on your lips.
Once finished, your technician will apply a soothing moisturiser to your lips to reduce any irritation, and you'll be given guidance on aftercare for your lip tattoo.
Lip tattoo colours
The Full Lip Blush treatment doesn't use permanent lip tattoo colours but rather semi-permanent colours. You might choose lip blushing to completely change your natural lip colour or subtly define and enhance your natural lip shape and colour.
When it comes to popular shades, soft pinks and subtle corals top the list, as these hues tend to complement most skin tones and give a natural yet enhanced look.
However, it's not all about following trends; choosing the right lip blush colour is highly personal and should harmonise with your skin tone, everyday makeup look, and lifestyle.
We suggest choosing a shade one or two tones deeper than your natural lip colour. This will give your lips a fuller and more defined appearance without making them look overdone.
Our experienced lip artists are here to guide you and recommend the ideal shade that suits your skin tone and your desired outcome.
In the weeks following your treatment, the initial colour you left the salon with will lighten around day three or four and then settle into the semi-permanent hue.
Full lip tattoo healing process
The healing process for lip tattooing involves several stages and typically takes about 7-10 days. You will see the final results from 5 to 6 weeks.
- Lips initially appear darker and swollen after the tattooing procedure.
- The skin on the lips will start to peel off as part of the healing process.
- As the skin exfoliates, the colour of the tattooed lips may appear lighter.
- The lips gradually heal as the skin regenerates.
- The final and true colour of the tattooed lips is revealed after the healing process.
Immediately following the procedure, your lips may appear darker than expected, but this is completely normal and part of the healing process.
The colour will lighten over the next few days as the outer layer of the skin naturally sheds and renews itself.
During this natural exfoliation process, the tattooed colour will become less vibrant and fade, almost disappearing. Avoid picking or rubbing the flaking skin, as this can affect the final outcome.
You'll also experience some initial swelling in the treated area immediately after the procedure, which is a completely normal body reaction to the tattooing process.
The lips may appear puffier than usual, and this swelling can be accompanied by some discomfort or tenderness that will subside as the healing progresses.
It's important to remember that everyone heals differently and that the healing process can be influenced by factors such as your overall health, lifestyle, and aftercare regimen.
If you're wondering when you can wear lipstick after a lip tattoo, you'll usually need to wait around 7-10 days for the full healing process.
Preparing for your lip tattoo: Do's and Don'ts
Preparing for your lip blush tattoo helps achieve the best outcome and a smooth healing process. Here's what to keep in mind:
- Use lip balm every day in the week leading up to your appointment to keep your lips hydrated in preparation for your appointment.
- Skip the alcohol at least one day before your lip tattoo. Alcohol can make your blood thinner, which may lead to more bleeding during the procedure.
- If you're prone to cold sores, consult your doctor and take antiviral tablets before and after the treatment. This precaution helps prevent cold sore outbreaks and protects the healing process.
- Gently exfoliate your lips twice a week before your lip blushing treatment. We recommend making a simple scrub with sugar and honey as a natural exfoliant. This helps remove any dry skin and promotes better colour implantation.
- We recommend having a meal before your treatment to help you feel more comfortable throughout.
- Steer clear of caffeine on the day of your lip tattoo. Caffeine can increase sensitivity and potentially cause bleeding, so it's best to avoid it.
- Pay close attention to the aftercare instructions provided by your tattoo artist. Neglecting proper aftercare can affect your lip tattoo's healing process and longevity.
- During the healing phase, avoid spicy foods and hot drinks, as they may irritate your healing lips.
- Remember that everyone's healing timeline can vary. You may require more sessions or a longer healing period depending on your specific procedure and lip pigmentation. Consult with your tattoo artist to determine the right timeline for you.
- Don't take aspirin or ibuprofen unless specifically prescribed to prevent bleeding.
Lip tattooing aftercare
Taking care of your lips after the procedure is crucial to ensure a smooth healing process and maintain your lip tattoo's longevity.
At Tanya Beauty Care, we supply you with an aftercare cream that will help with any dryness and shedding in the days following the procedure. The cream should be applied twice daily for the first 7 days after treatment.
Here are some other key steps to follow:
- You can apply a cold compress or ice pack to the area to reduce swelling but don't leave it too long in one area (10 minutes maximum) to avoid frostbite.
- Refrain from wiping or licking your lips to avoid irritating the area and slowing the healing process.
- Don't pick at any scabs; let them come off your lips naturally to minimise the chance of uneven colour.
- Apply your aftercare ointment twice daily (morning and night) for the next 7 days. After this period, you can switch to paw paw ointment or lip balm to keep your lips moist.
- We recommend increasing your Vitamin C intake to encourage healing.
- If you're prone to cold sores, you may use Zovirax cream on the affected area or consult a doctor for prescription medication.
Lip blushing refresh
To maximise the longevity of your initial treatment, we recommend having a lip blush refresh within 24 months.
Do lip tattoos hurt?
You may be surprised to know lip tattooing usually only involves mild discomfort during the procedure. We use a topical numbing cream that reduces the pain significantly and makes the process as comfortable as possible.
As we mentioned earlier, the sensation you'll feel is a vibrating pressure on your lips; the most discomfort is usually felt around the cupid's bow.
Feeling intense pain during your lip blushing treatment is actually abnormal and can indicate something is wrong; if the artist is inexperienced, they may be pressing too hard and going too deep into the dermis.
Everyone's pain tolerance is different. While some clients may experience little to no discomfort during the process, others may find it slightly uncomfortable.
After the procedure, the numbing cream wears off, and you may experience some pain post-treatment and swelling, which is normal and nothing to be worried about.
Cost of lip tattooing
A Lip Blush Tattoo with Tanya Beauty Care is $1200 for the entire procedure and includes a complimentary touch up within 6-12 weeks post treatment.
The cost of a Lip Blush Refresh is $699 and this can be done within 24 months of your initial treatment.
What are the risks and side effects of getting a lip tattoo?
An expertly tattooed lip blush can be a beauty game-changer, but there are always possible side effects you need to be aware of.
One of the most common issues is developing cold sores. Our lips are very sensitive, and the tattooing process can irritate them, causing those cold sores to pop up.
Lip blushing generally doesn’t leave any scars but always let your artist know about any allergies and skin sensitivities you have before the appointment.
In the hands of a less experienced technician or an unsanitary environment, there's also the risk of the pigment not being applied evenly, infection or damage being done to the lips.
Choosing a highly skilled artist can avoid a bad lip blushing experience. When researching your options, ask for evidence of training, qualifications, experience, and certification, and check online reviews and the salon/technicians portfolio of before and after photos.
Who is suitable for lip tattooing?
Almost anyone can get a lip tattoo. However, it’s always recommended to check with your health practitioner if you are on any medication and unsure of how you may respond to the treatment. If you have a history of cold sores you’ll also need to take antiviral medication before and after the procedure to prevent a flare-up.
Lip tattoo FAQs
Q: Can I brush my teeth after lip tattoo?
A: Yes, you can brush your teeth after a lip tattoo. However, be gentle for the first few days to avoid irritating the freshly tattooed area.
Q: Can I eat after lip tattoo?
A: We recommend waiting at least a few hours before you eat anything after getting a lip tattoo. It's also a good idea to stick to non-spicy foods for the first couple of days to prevent additional irritation.
Q: Can lip tattoo make lips look bigger?
A: A lip tattoo doesn't physically increase the size of your lips but it can create an illusion of fuller, more defined lips by enhancing their natural colour and contour.
Q: Can you drink after a lip tattoo?
A: We recommend waiting at least a few hours before drinking anything after the lip tattoo procedure.
Q: Can you drink alcohol after lip tattoo?
A: It's better to avoid alcohol for at least 24 hours after the procedure as it could cause increased swelling and slow down the healing process.
Q: Are lip tattoos safe
A: Yes, lip tattoos are generally safe when performed by a qualified and experienced professional who follows all necessary hygiene and safety procedures.
Book your appointment for Full Lip Blush treatment with our expert lip artists at Tanya Beauty Care today!