Scalp Micropigmentation - The Ultimate Guide
Feeling self-conscious about hair loss or thinning? Reclaim your confidence with scalp micropigmentation. This cosmetic treatment is designed to mimic the look of thicker hair, resulting in a natural, restored appearance. Your path to renewed confidence starts here!
What is scalp micropigmentation?
Scalp micropigmentation (SMP) is a non-invasive treatment for anyone experiencing hair loss. This innovative technique, often likened to a 'hair tattoo,' involves the application of tiny deposits of pigment into the scalp, creating the appearance of a natural-looking hairline and fuller hair.
Scalp micropigmentation for thinning hair and baldness
At Tanya Beauty Care our clients to come us for scalp micropigmentation with hair concerns including:
- Pattern baldness: Micropigmentation on scalp can create the illusion of a fuller head of hair, helping to disguise areas of hair loss.
- Thinning hair: With SMP, you can increase the appearance of density in the thin patches. Scalp micropigmentation with hair loss is a true game-changer!
- Receding hairline: SMP can redefine and strengthen your hairline, giving you a more youthful appearance.
- Scars on the scalp: SMP can help camouflage scars caused by accidents or surgery so you don't feel self-conscious about their appearance.
Shape, positon, and style of your hairline
Your SPM technician will take the position, shape, and style of your hairline into consideration to create a natural looking result. Let's take a closer look at these:
Position of Your Hairline
- The starting point of your hairline plays a vital role in ensuring a natural outcome with SMP. It's often best to stick to your original hairline position before it began to recede.
- You may reference older photographs to identify this position. Be wary of lowering your hairline too much as it might look out of place.
- Clients in their late 40s might prefer a slightly higher hairline for an age-appropriate look, taking into account factors like a widow's peak.
Shape of Your Hairline
- The shape of your hairline significantly impacts your overall appearance. It should complement your facial structure and look in sync with the rest of your hair.
- While SMP allows flexibility to adjust your hairline shape, avoid extremes that might result in an unnatural look. A straight hairline might not suit everyone; whereas a well-rounded hairline gives a more natural appearance.
Style of Your Hairline
Choosing the right hairline style adds to the overall aesthetics of your SMP. Styles include:
- the broken or jagged hairline, which scatters pigments for a realistic effect.
- the lightweight hairline, providing a 'faded' look with light pigments.
- the edged-up hairline, creating clean, sharp lines, which may appeal more to younger clients and those with darker skin tones.
How does scalp micropigmentation work?
What is the scalp micropigmentation treatment process? SMP works by using fine needles to apply pigment into the scalp, mimicking the appearance of hair follicles.
Your tattoo artist carefully blends pigments to match your natural hair colour and skin tone. The pigment is applied to the scalp in a stippling pattern (tiny dots), replicating your natural hair growth.
- The dots should mimic the appearance of tiny hair follicles
- They should be distributed evenly across your scalp
- The pattern should mirror your natural hair growth
- They should integrate seamlessly with your existing hair
When done well, the result is a realistic, natural-looking hairline and the appearance of fuller hair.
Let's step you through what you can expect when getting scalp micropigmentation at Tanya Beauty Care:
Step 1: Personal consultation
Your journey starts with a personal consultation with your scalp tattoo specialist. They'll work closely with you to determine the best approach for how you want the final result to look.
Step 2: Colour matching
Next, your scalp specialist will custom blend a colour to perfectly match your skin tone and hair colour. We use high quality, vegan microblading pigments to achieve a colour that seamlessly matches your skin tone and existing hair.
Our pigments ensure superior colour retention and make the application process of micropigmentation on the scalp precise and easy. Allowing us to create stunning, natural-looking results that'll leave you feeling confident.
Step 3: Pigment is applied
Now it's time for the magic to happen! Your specialist will use a micro-needle to deposit tiny dots of pigment into the outer layer of your scalp skin, known as the epidermis.
These tiny dots mimic the appearance of hair follicles, giving the illusion of a fuller head of hair. The technique requires a steady hand, artistic eye, and specialised equipment to ensure the dots and spacing between them are natural.
Does scalp micropigmentation hurt? The process is relatively pain-free but a numbing solution can be applied to keep you comfortable if needed.
Scalp micropigmentation cost
Are you wondering about the cost of scalp micropigmentation? The scalp micropigmentation cost in Australia can vary depending on various factors, including the degree of hair loss and the area of coverage needed.
At Tanya Beauty Care, we specialise in SMP procedures and treatment costs range from $500-$7000 (which typically involves 2-3 sessions). Before providing a quote, we ask you to send a photo so we can estimate your scalp micropigmentation price based on what you need and the desired outcome you are looking for.
Scalp micropigmentation before and after photos
When deciding on a cosmetic treatment and choosing between technicians, it's always helpful to check out before and after pictures and scrutinise a technician's reviews.
SMP isn't a procedure you want to leave to a novice- you could end up with poorly placed and unnatural-looking tattoo dots.
We invite you to review Tanya Beauty Care scalp micropigmentation before and afters to see for yourself the impressive and natural-looking transformation our expert technicians have achieved with SMP.
Potential side effects of scalp micropigmentation
When you're in the hands of a seasoned professional, micropigmentation on the scalp is generally safe, but like any cosmetic procedure, there is a chance of side effects.
- Slight Redness or Swelling: This is pretty common and usually subsides within a few days.
- Allergic reaction: In rare cases, some people may be allergic to the pigment used.
- Infection: Also rare, but possible if the procedure is not performed under sanitary conditions.
To reduce the chance of experiencing side effects of scalp micropigmentation, choosing a certified and experienced practitioner is important.
Scalp micropigmentation aftercare
Proper aftercare is crucial to ensure your treatment's best results and longevity. Here's what to expect:
- You can immediately return to your normal activities; there is no required downtime.
- Continue to take any medication as prescribed and drink plenty of water.
4-5 Days Post-Session
- Lightly dab the area with a wet cloth to clean.
- You can wear a loose hat and sleep in any position.
- Avoid intense exercise/heavy sweating, scrubbing/shampooing the area, shaving over the treated area, long-term sunlight exposure, and touching with hands.
5+ Days Post-Session
- You can carefully shave or cut your hair.
- Lightly rinse with soap and water.
- Apply a fragrance-free moisturiser if required.
- Avoid scratching your scalp and picking at any scabbing.
- Do not use any exfoliating shampoos, self-tanners, or other skin irritants.
10+ Days Post-Session:
- You can return to your normal routine, but wash your head and cut your hair before returning for a follow-up session.
- Avoid chlorinated pools, saunas, steam rooms, and tanning beds for 28 days post-final session.
Following these guidelines will help you get the best possible results from your scalp micropigmentation treatment.
How long does scalp micropigmentation last?
Scalp micropigmentation is a semi-permanent treatment, and the results can last for several years without the need for significant upkeep.
This treatment can last up to 4-6 years making it a great long-term solution for hair loss. We recommend clients return for a refresh every 2-3 years to maintain the colour. Remember that lifestyle and skin type can affect the longevity of the treatment.
How long does scalp micropigmentation take?
The duration of the SMP procedure will depend on the size of the area being treated. Generally, each session can last 2-3 hours, and you will need 2-3 sessions spaced a week apart to complete the treatment.
There are a few reasons for staggering the treatment sessions:
Layering: The way the pigment is layered on the scalp is one of the keys to achieving a natural-looking result. During each session, your SMP specialist will apply tiny dots of pigment, gradually building up the density and depth of colour. This layering method allows for a more realistic look that replicates the natural appearance of hair follicles.
Healing time: The skin on your scalp needs time to heal between sessions. This break allows any minor swelling or redness to subside and allows your skin to recover. Doing this, your specialist can better assess the results of the previous session and make precise adjustments in the next one.
Refinement: Multiple sessions allow for refinement; your specialist can adjust the pigment density and placement based on how your skin retains the pigment and your feedback on the appearance. This way, the final result is everything you hoped it would be!
Scalp micropigmentation offers a breakthrough solution to hair loss, providing a sense of confidence if you're struggling with thinning hair or baldness.
As always, you can trust our team at Tanya Beauty Care to ensure you receive the highest standard of care and absolutely love your results! Book your scalp micropigmentation treatment with us today.